Monday, August 21, 2006

Sometimes, Doll, life is a beach

Took some time off and a time out Thurs. and Fri. I had some vacation time to burn, things are quiet at work, and the forecast looked like a good one. I got lucky and it turned out to be mostly sunny and 27C to 30C the two days.

I spent the Thursday relaxing at Playa d'Oka (locals are probably snickering here). It's really a beach in provincial park about 40 min. from where I live in Montreal. A beach, a lake, the sun, pickup beach volleyball and a good book. It was perfect.

The good book is turning out to be quite interesting and has even sparked among a few co-workers and a blog entry from the lovely Fel: a great dame whose coy smile will distract and disarm you long enough for her eyes to steal your heart. The book in question is The Big Sleep, the Raymond Chandler novel which was the source of the film noir in which Bogey plays Philip Marlowe, a straight-talking private eye who shoots off great lines like this:

"The coupe went west on the boulevard, which forced me to make a left turn
and lot of enemies."

"I didn't ask to see you. You sent for me. I don't mind your ritzing me or
drinking your lunch out of a Scotch bottle. I don't mind your showing me
your legs. They're very swell legs and it's a pleasure to make their
acquaintance."

"Hair like steel wool grew far back on his head and gave him a great deal
of domed brown forehead that might at a careless glance have seemed a
dwelling place for brains."


For fun, post a comment describing something that happened to you today in this manner. Here's a try:

"I could tell from the look on her face that she could hear the foghorn in my head as I tried to think straight on this rainy Monday morning."

No comments: