Sunday, January 07, 2007

One of the most beautiful things I've ever heard

Today was Christmas for Ukrainian and other Christians who follow the Eastern Rite: Russians, Greeks, etc. It was the last of the holiday gettogethers for our family and it's one we all look forward to for the great traditional food and lack of commercial distraction this time around.

After mass today, my sisters and I went to parents' home nearby for leftovers from our great meal last night. I was the last to leave and I went to hug my mom goodbye, she said one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard: "When I'm gone, I don't want you to miss me, but I'm going to miss all of you." For a few seconds I couldn't speak and then had to fight back a tear at those simple, spiritual, human words. When the time comes, we'll miss you, too, Mom. For now, though, let's just enjoy that we're all together.

No comments: