Monday, August 17, 2009

Customer disservice

I had an experience which I am certain many others have had before me. I had a watch battery replaced on Sat. in a waterproof sports watch. Unfortunately, the young woman who replaced the battery did not place the rubber seal properly and when I went swimming the next day, within a minute the screen flickered and went dead. When I removed the watch to inspect it, I could see a bit of the rubber seal sticking out from under the back case of the watch where water had seeped into the watch and shorted it. The young woman had botched something as simple as replacing a battery. Here's where the hatred rises to the surface:

I returned on Monday to the store to show the saleswoman the crippled watch caused by her improper closing. I expected her or her manager to apologize and replace the battery or offer a replacement watch (or at least a discount on a replacement) as her incompetence had caused the watch to short circuit when exposed to water. No such luck. They refused. Not only did they refuse, the manager had the nerve to suggest that I had tampered with the watch and they were not responsible for it no longer functioning. I was furious and become increasingly incensed when I realized they had no intention of admitting their mistake or making any sort of amends whatsoever. They even shooed me away saying they were closing and had to lock their doors before mall security arrived. I couldn't believe it. I was so angry for the next half hour and then incredibly disappointed at being let down again by salespeople who, in this case, were happy to sell items but completely unskilled at offering technical service and having no concept of customer service. I know a number of people who have had their watches damaged by jewelers attempting to replace batteries - why can't they get this simple task right? Could you imagine a bike mechanic causing damage while replacing a flat or an auto glass repair centre cracking a replacement window and suggesting it's your fault? Obviously, a number of jewellers are there to make high margins selling you bling and don't think we're worth their time to provide quality technical service or post-sales customer service. As for my case, it's not worth my time to fight for my watch as I know they won't change. Weasels 1 - Customer 0.

No comments: